How do I change my name in the University system?

Students who need to have their official name changed must fill out the Bio/Demo Change form and bring proof along with a photo ID (Passport or Driver’s License) to the Office of the Registrar. For more information, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 305-284-2294 or via email at registrar@miami.edu.

If I’m transgender, are there specific restrooms I can use?

The University of Miami does have gender-neutral and inclusive restrooms across campus. To find these locations, please click here.

How do I find out what’s going on at the LGBTQ Student Center?

The LGBTQ Student Center has various ways of communicating upcoming events. You can visit Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter @umlgbtq.

Is there housing options available to students who identify as LGBTQ?

The University of Miami aims to provide safe, clean, well maintained, service-oriented, efficiently managed, friendly, caring, fairly priced student housing communities that promote academic success, civic engagement, personal and professional development, as well as critical and innovative thinking. For students who identify as LGBTQ+, there are housing options available. To get more information, please contact Housing and Residential Life at 305-284-4505 or via email at housing@miami.edu.

Are there any other resources outside of the University available to me if I need additional information?

Below please find several national organizations that will provide you with various information.

National LGBT Organizations

  • Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD): Promotes fair and accurate representation of LGBT people in the media.
  • Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN): Organization for students, parents, and teachers that tries to affect positive change in schools.
  • GSANetwork: The national Gay-Straight Alliance.
  • Human Rights Campaign (HRC): The nation's largest LGBT political organization.
  • Immigration Equality: national organization fighting for equality under U.S. immigration law for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and HIV-positive individuals.
  • Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG): Promotes the health and well-being of LGBT persons, their families and friends through support, education, and advocacy.

What are my options to pay my tuition if my parents refuse to when I come out to them?

The Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment works closely with students to help them understand how financial aid works, what their overall cost of attending UM will be, and other financial resources to consider. They will assist you in finding various options to help you pay your tuition. If you need their assistance, please visit their website.

Who can I contact if I feel l have been harassed or discriminated against based on my gender identity and/or sexual orientation?

The Dean of Students Office can assist students with a range of support services and protective measures, including cases where a student wants to remain anonymous. The Deans of Students Office also houses the administrative disciplinary process when this path is requested. For more information on how to report an incident, please feel free to contact Maria Sevilla or Dean Nikki Abramson at 305-284-5353 or visit their webpage.

As a prospective student, do I need to identify with being male or female on the admissions application?

Yes, since the University of Miami is a member of the Common Application, it is mandated by federal guidelines to collect data on the legal sex of all applicants (as stated on one’s birth certificate). If you wish to provide more details regarding your sex or gender identity, applicants are welcome to do so in the additional information section of their application.